Sunday, February 1, 2015

Delpit Quote

The quote that Lisa Delpit "We do not see through our eyes or hear through our ears, but through our beliefs." is relevant to more things than you would first think. Say a women walks down the street and she has no hair. The first thing that may pop into your head is that there is something wrong with her, whether it be a sickness, such as cancer, or a mental disorder. However, she may also have donated her hair for a good cause. There are two ways to see this situation right off the bat, and many more if you stop and think about it.

 For me, this happens almost every time I go into a public place with my family. I have a bad habit of passing a judgement on people before I get to know them. One guy in specific lives in my dorm. I first met him on move in day and immediately said that he was just odd and I couldn't relate to him. After some time and me getting to know him, he slowly became my best friend, so he went from an outcast to me to being my best friend, and this was almost stopped because of my bias. Bias is a real concern if it gets in the way of getting to know someone, because you do not know what a person is like until you actually get to know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment