Monday, February 2, 2015

Field Blog Boulevard Elementary

At the elementary school, I saw that every classroom was very colorful, kids were excited to be there, the teachers were all very positive and active, and almost every classroom we visited had some sort of group activity. All of these things go into what can make a classroom lively and a hood place to learn.

These observations are just broad categories of what I saw while at the school. My best experience in getting to know what the kids felt like was reading the story of the snowman with them and playing a game on symbiosis with them. The kids all were very eager to get things done and learn form them, and I was surprised by this. After living in a house with two brothers for so long, the feeling of excitement has gone through each one of us. We all focused on grades in high school instead of the content and this was nice to see the kids having fun. I also noticed a lot of group work. I am a huge fan of group work and that social interaction that goes with it.

There were some things that I thought while we were there that made me second guess myself. While observing the fifth graders, they were really obnoxious and I thought at the time that they were just rude kids. After a while, I remembered how I was back in elementary school and I was the same way. This was my only real judgement of the kids, because I admire how much they want to learn. In a way, it sparked my own interests in learning new things as well.

Nothing during the observation at the school would go into a "parking lot" category. I went in there looking for certain things and knew it would be a different world than what I remember school being as. I was pleasantly surprised at the kids eagerness to learn and the teachers willingness to teach. I really liked the group work of the classes, because group work focuses on teamwork; that is essential for future jobs. It was a very colorful school with enthusiastic kids and teachers; every kid there wants to be there and that enhances their experience more than they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment